The Department of Housing and Residence Life employs students as Maintenance Assistants during the summer to support its building maintenance and renovations. Skills needed include: general repair, painting, plumbing, locksmithing and carpentry. Summer Maintenance Assistants will work under the direction of full-time maintenance mechanics.
Student maintenance assistants are hired as either part-time (20 hours a week) if taking classes, or full-time (40 hours a week) if not enrolled in summer classes. The work day is from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday unless directed otherwise by a full-time supervisor. We offer limited positions with second shift from 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM.
Complete Your Application Now! Applications due on May 1 by 11:59 pm.
Salary: Beginning hourly rate of $9.25 per hour. Student must sign up for direct deposit.
- Be in good academic standing (2.0 cumulative GPA)
- Be in good judicial standing: must not be on conduct probation
- Must be a current UNC Charlotte student or recent graduate
- Must be able to work the first three weeks and the last three weeks of the summer work schedule. Exceptions to this can only be made by special request to the supervisor.
- The Maintenance Assistant position is to be the principal non-academic activity. Additional social/community and/or extracurricular activities must be approved in advance.
- Some positions require driving a utility cart or truck. If so, a valid, U.S. Driver’s license is required.
- Display positive customer service skills at all times.
- Act as a positive ambassador for the University and the department.
- Provide support for Housing Operations and hall staff in preparation for Opening.
- Inspect residential space to evaluate and record housekeeping and maintenance issues.
- Paint and patch drywall.
- Move University furniture and mattresses in and out of buildings.
- Monitor rooms and hallways for signs of fire if a fire alarm is not working.
- Distributing operational supplies across campus.
- Change light bulbs.
- Other duties as assigned.