The primary functions of sanctioning within the University setting are to provide students with opportunities to:participate in education to help direct future decision making, reflect upon how actions impact individuals as well as the larger community, contribute more positively to the University community and deter similar behavior from reoccurring. Students will take an active role in developing an action plan for conduct charges for which they are found responsible. The action plan will include core sanctions, as well as any additional sanctions decided on by the student and hearing officer.

Conduct sanctions are often tailored to suit the circumstances of each case and to meet the needs of individualstudents, however, there are specified violations for which guidelines have been implemented. Such guidelines have been developed for consistency across the University, but University conduct officers and hearing boards reserve the right to take extenuating circumstances into account when determining whether more or less stringent components should be applied.

Core sanctioning guidelines are in place for alcohol and drug violations (designated/scheduled as controlled substances by the North Carolina Controlled Substance Act, Chapter 90, Article 5). These guidelines range from conduct reprimand to expulsion and include additional educational sanctions. Repeated violations may result in progressively more severe conduct sanctions.


But, I don’t recall being written up!

It is possible that the individual filing the report did not inform you of the filing of the report. If you refer to the electronic letter that was sent to you, it will list the date the incident took place, and which policies you have been charged with allegedly violating. In some cases, your REC or GA may send you a follow up with a concern or to further investigate an incident. Just because you get a letter does not mean you are automatically responsible for or in violation of a policy.

Yeah, but I didn’t do it!

You might not have. Go to the meeting with your hearing officer with a positive attitude about the situation and tell the truth. You and the hearing officer will have a discussion about the incident that happened. If you aren’t responsible for violating the policy, that will become apparent during your meeting.

Ok, so what if I did do it?

First of all, thank you for your honesty! Go to the meeting with your hearing officer with a positive attitude and be courteous. Your hearing officer will talk with you about your rights and responsibilities, the incident, University and Housing policies, and together you’ll determine what the appropriate sanctions will be.

Who will I meet with?

If the alleged violation took place in a residence hall, it is likely you will be meeting with the REC or GA in the building where the incident occurred. Depending on your conduct history and the seriousness of violation, your case may be referred to an Assistant Director in Housing and Residence Life or Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. Cases where the alleged violations could result in University probation, suspension or expulsion are referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity.

What if I don’t schedule a meeting?

We believe the student conduct process is a learning opportunity for our students. Therefore, we encourage you to take an active role in your conduct case and assist your hearing officer with determining the outcome. Your hearing officer will make two attempts to contact your via electronic letter. If they don’t hear from you after the first attempt, a hold will be placed on your record. After the second unanswered attempt, your case may be resolved in absentia.

What are the different resolution possibilities?

  1. Some first time, single violations of minor housing policies are managed through Administrative Resolutions. If the incident report seems to clearly indicate a violation of a minor housing policy, the Residence Education Coordinator may choose to send you a letter (in lieu of a meeting) detailing the alleged violation and clarifying the policy. You may opt to request a meeting with the Residence Education Coordinator to discuss your involvement in the incident or let the letter stand.
  2. In most instances, cases can be resolved through an mutual resolution (conduct meeting). This is an opportunity for you to meet 1-on-1 with a hearing officer to discuss your involvement in the incident. During this meeting, you will learn about Housing and University policies and the student conduct process.
  3. You also have the right to request an Administrative Hearing, which is a more formal process for resolving the case. Panels are comprised of a combination of students, faculty and staff. Participants in the hearing include the alleged student, the person(s) who filed the report and witnesses. More information about hearings can be found at

What if I don’t agree with the decision?

Within the student conduct process, all students have the right to a formal resolution. By meeting and resolving your case with a REC or GA, you are waiving your right to a hearing. If you would like a formal resolution, simply tell the REC or GA either before or during your meeting and they will forward your case to the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity to have a Administrative Hearing scheduled.

Will this appear on my transcript?

For a list of sanctions that may appear on your transcripts, please refer to the Student Code of Responsibility at

Please review our Resident Handbook for more information.